Friday, June 6, 2008

Peter Hill-Wood welcomes Kroenke

After previously voicing serious reservations, chairman Peter Hill-Wood is now claiming that American billionaire Stan Kroenke is welcome in the boardroom. After making a 10% purchase of the club in 2007, Kroenke has upped his share to 12%, but this does not seem to bother Hill-Wood anymore, as he does not feel Kroenke has intentions of seizing a majority share.
"I think he could make a contribution - whether he would want to do it, I don't know,"

"I think he would be a good addition. He seems to have been very sensible.

"I think he would be quite happy to buy more shares but I think he has absolutely no intention of buying the whole thing."


So there you have it, not all American investors are evil. I don't think he can be characterized the same way as Gillette, Hicks or even the Glazers, because those men were not football men. Kroenke is. Not in the sense that any Brit will ever give him credit for because he is, after all, a "yank". He does own MLS side Colorado Rapids and genuinely appreciates the game. I cannot comment on his exact knowledge of footballs intricacies, as I don't know the man, but he appears better suited for the task than the Americans who have come before him.


In other news, Adebayor has moved to refute reports of a move away from the Emirates, which is undoubtedly good news and not very surprising in all actuality. As the day went on yesterday it seemed there was little behind those rumors.

"I am very happy here. Reports which suggest I have threatened to quit are rubbish," he said. "I love the club and the fans.

"We have a great set of players here with a fantastic team spirit.

"We have had a good season, but next year we want to go one better by winning a trophy."



No comments: